Wednesday, July 6, 2016


The Two Worst Words a Music Student Can Say 

Last week, I counted how many times a student said the two words during a lesson: seven. 

It took a lot of energy, but each time, we figured out a way to work around her words and find a means for her to achieve. 

But she's not the only one. In fact, most all of my students (and prospective students) chant these two words as if they were a mantra. 

Okay, perhaps I exaggerate, but consider the alto sax student who brought Chick Corea's "Got a Match?" to her lesson, along with a time limit to learn it all and at 220 bpm. 

She said those two words, but by the end of the 30 minutes, she had the head memorized and was well on her way to perfecting the rest of it.

If only we hadn't had to spend so much energy dealing with those two words.  You already know what the two words are, because I'm guessing you've used them yourselves. 

Here they are 

I can't. 

Some of you are laughing right now, but, those two words are deadly. The negative response kills creativity. Those little words have the power to keep us stuck in place. And if we say them enough, we begin to believe them.

I spend a lot of time dealing with student/performance psychology with my private and group students, and I have come to learn that our mindsets determine our outcomes in so many cases. 

So don't burden yourself with 'I can't.' Instead, make it a habit to say yes, to frame your various concerns about your musicianship in a more positive way, and you will  hear the results in your playing.

Yes, there's a Part Two to this, and I'll get to that in next week's blog entry.

private lessons, saxophone instruction, positive, attitude, learning skills








No comments:

Post a Comment