Thursday, December 29, 2016

How Do I Know if Sax or Clarinet or Flute is the Right Instrument for Me?

How do you know if saxophone or flute or clarinet (or any instrument) is right for you?

The short answer? You often don't at first.

I'll explain, but first, let me apologize for my utter laziness in posting to this blog -- yeah I know, it's been a while. But I'm back, and I have a new website now that explains more about who I am and about my background and style as a woodwinds instructor.

Have a look, and tell me what you think: saxlessonssandiego.com 

Now, the answer to today's question. The holidays generally see growth in my student population because of the numbers of beginners who get shiny new instruments for Christmas.

Or, lessons.

Or both.

Sometimes though, a particular instrument is just not a fit with the intended player. The best way to find that out is by sitting with a qualified instructor, learning a few of the basics, and then letting things take their natural course.

But give yourself a fair chance.

In the beginning, nobody knows from embouchure or fingerings. There are many things to perfect in sequence, but they are not impossible. If they were, none of us would be musicians. Still, some instruments present challenges that are more difficult than others. The flute embouchure, for example, or, the open-keys of the clarinet.

But sometimes, mastering those new skills can be insurmountable. How do you know when to throw in the towel? Again, sitting with a qualified instructor in private sessions is best. Many students only have the option of study in a public school classroom, where one instructor is in charge of 50 beginners with brand new instruments, and that can be a tough introduction to music.

My advice? Give the instrument of choice a decent try, but, be ready for other opportunities if it does not work for you.

For example:

I had a very young flute student recently who struggled to make even a single note on his instrument. Week after week after week went by, and he was never able to coordinate his fingers and master the tricky flute embouchure. He was beginning to hate music...that is, until we put a trumpet in his hands.

And that's the instrument he resonated with. He went on to play baritone, and he loved it.

The place to start is by renting, not owning. Check out the selection of instruments at a music store in your area with a good rental program, one that allows you to rent short-term and change instruments during the life of the contract. Start there, minus the heavy investment that a decent instrument can represent, and learn what fits you (or your child musician.)

Next, have the instrument checked out by a reputable woodwind tech. It's no use trying to play music on a leaky or damaged instrument. In San Diego, I go to Jim Weiss for all of my repairs. Message me for his contact info.

Happy New Year!


Key words: sax lessons san diego - Jim Weiss - saxophone repair - instrument rental programs



No comments:

Post a Comment