Thursday, January 21, 2016

Don't Squeeze the Goods

Last night while playing a pick-up gig with a mixed-bag pop/rock/blues party band at the House of Blues, I caught myself in a bad habit:

Squeezing the keys on my tenor sax while playing a solo.

I think we all do it, especially newcomers who are trying to master the complexities. It's a natural human reaction, to squeeze down on the keys, and I still find myself doing this during intense solo passages or peak moments of inspiration.

But squeezing the keys is one of those habits that does not serve a player. A light touch is preferable.

Jazz pianist/composer Chick Corea once said it best during a master class (and I paraphrase here) -- relax, keep your body posture loose, and release the tension through your playing.

Not by bearing down on your sax or clarinet or flute keys, or your piano keyboard, or your guitar neck or whatever.

How'd I learn to not squeeze? By practicing in a mirror and by observing what I was doing with my fingers -- all the extra movements, etc.

Last night, when I was literally clenching my horn during moments of peak expression, everything else clenched up too, especially my embrochure and my ability to put air through my horn. And I got stuck in place.

So - the object of today's post is this: relax while playing. Keep a light touch on the keys, let the key's springs push your fingers up, and from time to time have a look in the mirror during practice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment