Monday, January 25, 2016

Worrying about What You Don't Know Can Hurt Your Playing

One of the things I like most about learning music is this -- there is always something to learn. And for me,  the challenge of mastering new things is fun.

Most of the time.

I'll be the first to admit that there are those days in the practice room that my mind wanders to where I think I should be as a player, or who I want to sound like, or that player at the jam last night who was way better then me.

Not one of which is productive.

Yes, there is a mountain of information and technique to absorb and integrate when learning to play saxophone.  The same mountain that every major player stood before as well -- Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Stan Getz.

All of them started at the beginning. None of them was born with the ability to pick up a sax and play. They had to learn, one step at a time.

So take heart, okay? It takes as much time as it takes, each exercise, and we all have different learning speeds and situations.  Worrying about what you don't know yet will defeat you every time you practice.

How? Because it keeps your focus off of what you are trying to learn right now. And that is all you have to do: play what is in front of you to the absolute best of your abilities.

And stop worrying about where it is that you think you need to be as a player.

Focus. Listen. Play, and repeat.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather you play one scale like a master than 12 scales badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment